Tag Archives: Ubuntu

Enabling a Dell Wireless 1370 network adapter (BCM4328) on Ubuntu Linux

After three recent virus infections on Windows XP and Windows 7 (including at least one rootkit infection), I turned to Ubuntu Linux as a safer operating system. Two of the PCs were blessed with Atheros-based wireless network adapters, which are well-supported on Linux. The other laptop, a Dell Inspiron 2200, is blessed with one of those infamous Broadcom chipsets.

Supposedly, the BCM4328 (rev 02) wireless chipset is supported on Linux, but as of Ubuntu Desktop 11.04 and Linux Mint 11, it doesn’t work reliably. So I turned to the old tried-and-true ndiswrapper to run the BCM4328 Windows driver under Linux. Continue reading

Auto-start a shell script on Ubuntu Server

Got a shell script that you want automatically run at bootup on Ubuntu Server Edition? Here’s how:

  1. Create a script in the /etc/init.d/ directory
  2. Make the script executable
    $ sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/myscript.sh
  3. Make the script start at bootup
    $ sudo update-rc.d myscript.sh defaults

Note: the option “defaults” puts a link to start your script in runlevels 2, 3, 4 and 5, and puts a link to stop in runlevels 0, 1 and 6.

Referenced from:

Installing 32-bit programs on 64-bit Ubuntu linux

So far so good on my experimental switch to Ubuntu Linux from Windows XP.

I’m running 64-bit linux because my laptop’s Intel CPU supports it. However, many but not all programs available for linux are available in 64-bit versions. Last few days I’ve needed to install a few programs that don’t have 64-bit versions available, namely, Adobe Reader 8 and Amazon’s MP3 downloader. Here’s what I have learned:

  • Linux’s package managers are made to balk at installing 32-bit packages on 64-bit OSs. That is simply to remind you to check to see if a 64-bit version is available, (often it is).
  • 64-bit hardware and OSs are backward-compatible with 32-bit software.

So, most of the time all you have to do is tell the package manager “you know what you’re doing” and install anyway:

$ sudo dpkg -i --force-all AdobeReader_enu-8.1.3-1.i386.deb

screenshot-adobereader1

Which is how I got Adobe Reader working. Now for Amazon’s MP3 downloader. The purpose of the downloader is to make it easy and convenient to download whole albums at once, file it, and allow you to pause/resume downloading if needed.

Honestly, I was surprised and delighted to find that Amazon even makes a Linux version. So, I tried to install it. It complained about a bunch of libboost libraries being missing. So I headed over to synaptic and installed all the libboost_*-1.34.1 packages and was then able to install:

$ sudo dpkg -i --force-all amazonmp3.deb

When I tried to run it, it wouldn’t open. I tried opening it from the terminal and it said it couldn’t open some of the libboost libraries that I installed. Somewhere I read that you can use these commands to determine the architecture of an installed program or library:

$ file /usr/bin/amazonmp3
$ file /usr/lib/libboost-thread1.34.1

Well, amazonmp3 is 32-bit and the libboost libraries I installed were all 64-bit. So, I installed the getlibs package and ran it:

$ sudo getlibs /usr/bin/amazonmp3

It downloaded a bunch of 32-bit packages and now amazonmp3 works like a charm.

screenshot-amazonmp3

Kudos to Amazon for their DRM-free MP3s and for making a cross-platform downloader that makes using their service easy!

Adventures in Ubuntuland

My two-year-old HP laptop is getting slower and slower. Time for an XP re-install, but that’s a big ordeal. I opted to give Linux another try (maybe the third time will be the charm).

I installed and configured Eclipse, but it was running super-slow. A quick Google search revealed a simple trick:

The eclipse launcher resides at

/bin/eclipse

yet the actual executable for eclipse is at

/usr/lib/eclipse/eclipse

If you just bypass the wrapper script in /bin/eclipse and execute the binary, you will have increased speed for eclipse.

That seemed to take care of that.

I’m a dedicated Opera-holic. I simply can’t/won’t do without Opera’s super-useful e-mail client. Of course it runs fine on Linux, but often the fonts look terrible on many websites, even with the Microsoft core TrueType fonts installed.

Soo, after another quick Google search here’s what I found:

If you are sure that you have enough truetype fonts available (through
xft. ‘opera -debugfont’ will list the ones opera finds on startup), you can try disabling X font support by adding this line to the [User Prefs] section of one of the opera configuration files (e.g. /etc/opera6rc):

Enable Core X Fonts=0

Voila, nice fonts in Opera!